Eating disorders remain a large concern for kids, teens and adults worldwide. There is even a small percentage of seniors that suffer from eating disorders. For many years eating disorders were overlooked and not acknowledged as a serious problem. People thought starvation of the body was a sign of strength and will power, or that vomiting was only a sign of illness, or morning sickness. It was also believed that binging on all types of food was a sign of absolute weakness and anyone that succumbed to these measures, and gained large amounts of weight was weak as well.
Now, doctors and scientists have many other reasons for eating disorders and eating patterns. They realized that there are physical, mental, emotional, and other various factors that contribute to this type of disease. Even though eating disorders have not been addressed as a disease yet, scientists and doctors are figuring out that they are more and more close to disease than anything else. They are also considered an addiction. Eating disorders can kill and they can be extremely destructive to an individual’s general medical health, organs, and a variety of other bodily functions.
Bulimia is the most hidden eating disorder as it usually involves binging on large amounts of high fat or high sugar foods, and then purging the food secretly where no one will lay judgment. This can be extremely dangerous once the habit is formed and it can leave the bulimic feeling hopeless, depressed, even more destructive and feeling generally sick. Bulimia, known as binging and purging can have a variety of symptoms such as:
• Bloating all over the body
• Body dysmorphia (seeing the body bigger or smaller than it really is)
• Disgust with self
• Suicidal thoughts or plan
• Teeth and enamel problems (loss of teeth or always at the dentist)
• Tired swollen eyes
• White hair growth on face (the body’s way of protecting itself)
• Sensitivity to cold
• Organ problems or failure
• Mood swings
• Low self esteem
Some of these symptoms listed above are the same symptoms an Anorexic would have. Anorexia is the behavior of starving oneself. A person can also be dealing with Anorexia and Bulimia at the same time, or purging through excessive exercise instead of vomiting. Doctors haven’t found the absolute cure for these disorders, but there are treatment centres, community resources, and counseling to help the person you love and care about.
There have been some studies about home remedies or herbal remedies that are a natural way to aid in the recovery from an eating disorder. Some of these remedies are known as:
• Eat a variety of spicy foods. For some reason, spicy foods such as chilies, jalapeños, Indian curries, cumin, cayenne pepper, hot peppers, and spicy salsas have helped a person to keep their over active appetite in tact. The spice boosts metabolism and provides satisfaction while eating a regular portion.
• To avoid the guilt feelings that come with eating disorders, try eating foods that are low in fat or trans fats. Fatty fried foods, yogurts, dairy products, cheese, and high-carbohydrate foods all cause a person to feel heavier, guilty or depressed after eating.
• Make sure to eat 2 to 3 meals per day. This prevents the body from going into starvation, thus reducing the chances of feeling anxious, binging, purging, or over eating later.
• When a person feels like snacking they should eat licorice. Licorice can be a diuretic and it can reduce kapha imbalances.
• Listen to some soft relaxing music when eating. Heavy music and rock can lead to a rush when it comes to eating. It can lead to over eating or purging.
• When a snack attack occurs, eat a mint, brush the teeth, or gargle with mouthwash. This can stop the urge to over eat or eating at the wrong time.
• Herbal tea is an excellent remedy for soothing the soul and calming the emotional rollercoaster that people with eating disorders suffer from. Try chamomile tea before bed for a relaxing non-stressful sleep.
• Breathing has always been important to the eating disorder sufferer. Try to meditate or take up yoga too to relax the muscle tension in the body.