Hawthorn berry comes from the Rosaceae family and originated in Europe. The Romans and Ancient Greeks believed that Hawthorn berries, when taken, led to love, happiness, and divinity. The Roman also believed it would fight off evil, and they would place the Hawthorn berries and the trees around their homes and close to their loved ones. When Christianity came into the picture, people believed that Hawthorn berry represented death because it had been tied into Christ’s crown of thorns. It is also called Hawthorn and the tree can grow up to twenty five feet or higher. It can also come in a hedge or shrub form. Hawthorn berry is closely related to fruits such as apples, strawberries, and peaches. It can be used as an extract, a tea, or taken in supplement form. In ancient times the medicine men or women would use Hawthorn berry to alleviate insomnia, digestive complications, and to protect the heart from damage.
Benefits of Hawthorn berry are as follows:
· Hawthorn berries have been known to make the heart stronger. This herb can open up the coronary arteries allowing more oxygen and blood to get through to the heart. Many people who have heart complications take this fantastic herbal remedy.
· Hawthorn berries have been known to work as a powerful antioxidant. If you feel like you are being weighed down by toxins such as second hand smoke, environmental fumes, and processed foods, try taking Hawthorn berry. Because of Hawthorn berry’s antioxidant properties, it works to prevent illness from occurring, such as flu and common colds. It can also prevent bacterial problems such as bladder and yeast infections.
· Do you have high cholesterol? If you do, you may benefit from having Hawthorn berry in your daily diet. Hawthorn berry has been known to reduce high cholesterol levels and help people get out of the danger zone.
· Hawthorn berry can also lower blood pressure if it is too high. This herb should not be taken in large doses to treat blood pressure as it may cause blood pressure to drop too low which can make a person feel fatigued, or dizzy.
· Hawthorn berry has also been used to treat many cardiovascular and heart complications, such as arrhythmia and angina. It has also been used to help reduce symptoms of congestive heart failure and aid a person who is recovering from a heart attack.
Hawthorn berry side effects include fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and sweating. This herb can also make a person feel as though they are going to faint if they take too much of it. Hawthorn berry should only be taken in small doses. It is important to realize that Hawthorn berry might interfere with other medications that are used for cardiovascular, blood pressure, congestive heart failure, and angina. Make sure you speak to a health practitioner before you consider taking Hawthorn berry. Are Hawthorn berries dangerous? In some cases yes, as it may interfere with other medications. It can also be dangerous if taken in large doses. Ask your herbalist about the right dosage and consult with your doctor about any concerns you may have.
More Information About Hawthorn Berry
- No Articles Found